[XBOX SOUND] – How much do you pull in of the truth and how much do you say,
hey, we gotta make this right for people to watch? – We always looked at our lyrics as a can of concentrated grape juice. (dinging) – [Rukari] You gonna
fight him hand to hand, the dude has– – That’s that.
– Two big old blunt objects in his hand. – Look, I’m fallin’ towards him, look. (laughing) – What’s going on everyone? My name is Rukari and
welcome to Xbox Sessions. Now today’s episode of Xbox Sessions is brought to you by Hulu,
where you can watch thousands of TV shows and movies with
plans starting at just 5.99. I’m super excited for
today because I’ve got an absolute legendary hiphop artist, a member of the Wu-Tang Clan. My brother’s gonna absolutely be upset that I got to do this. (laughs)
But we got The RZA here, as well as your son, Rakeem. How we doin’ today? – All goody good. – So what’s goin’ on,
what’s life like here in LA? I mean you’re workin’ on a show, yeah? – Yeah, man. Hulu has brought, the
Wu-Tang series to life. I’m so excited about it. 10 episodes chronicling our
beginning from early ’90s and you get to watch part
of our lives dramatized in a way that the lyrics in a song or a documentary couldn’t do. You know what I mean, you
kinda almost get to taste it. You know what I mean?
– Yeah. – ‘Cause we go into some
subjects of course that’s touchy, but also I think very insightful
and very just revealing of what it took for these
men to come together and form this crew, the Wu-Tang Clan, and go on to make music
that changed our lives, and according to our
fans, changed the lives of some people around the world. – So I’m curious, you talk
about the subject matter being touchy and whatnot. How much do you pull in of the truth and how much do you say,
hey, we gotta make this right for people to watch or
for people to understand? How do you tell the story,
be authentic to yourself, be authentic to the story,
but make it digestible for everyone else? – We always looked at our lyrics as a can of concentrated grape juice, right? And you could eat that, you ever have a can of
concentrated grape juice? – I have not messed with a can of concentrated grape juice.
– Just pretty sweet. – Okay.
(laughs) – But you gotta put it in
there and you gotta add water. And so you put that in cereal,
you can add that water to it so the base is always there. But no, there’s so many things in there that’s actual reality. Some of it definitely we had
to put a dramatization on it just based on timelines. That’s the greatest
power, I think, of writing and of movies and TV is
that you get the power to play with time. And that’s what we play with. We don’t play with a lot of the things, a lot of the things
that happen in this show are so based in reality
one way or another. Of course there’s some movie magic to it, but the best thing we had,
the best weapon, was time. And being that we could play with time, we could have a character
do somethin’ in 1990 that he may have done in 1988. But we still, that’s how
the situation was handled. – Yeah, you get that creativity, right? So that makes me ask then,
if we are talkin’ about goin’ back as much as 30 years and we have all this time to cover, what’s the message you wanna convey? What do you want the folks
that are watching this show to understand when they
get to that final episode? – Wu-Tang goal is to entertain
and inspire at the same time. So both of these things must be achieved. So hope you have a good
time, you watchin’ the show, hope you laugh, hope
you get some emotions, hope you get some action,
everything that you get when you listen to one of our songs. But we also hope you inspired. I wouldn’t wanna see my son walk some of the paths that I walked. So hopefully he could look at
that and go, you know what? Dad, I’m makin’ a left,
I’m not takin’ that road. – Well hey, I’m glad you
brought your son here (laughs)
with you today, because we got the newly-dropped Gears 5 that we’re gonna have you run through. We’re gonna go through
some co-op campaign. – All right. – But before we do that, I
hear you love chess, yeah? – Oh definitely love chess. – We’re gonna put you in
a round of speed chess. How do you feel? (laughs)
I mean, you feel good about takin’ down the champion? – I don’t know, maybe
possibly take him down, but… (stammers)
– All right, we’ll see. So you guys ready? Let’s go ahead and do this? – Yes, let’s do it.
– All right, let’s do it. (tense music) (ding) (ding) (ding) (ding) (ding) – [The RZA] Ah, okay. (ding) (ding) (dinging) And I think I am gonna
give you a goodnight kiss. – Yup. – [The RZA] Good game. – Yeah. (laughing) – All right, well the
chess skills are there but now we gotta see how that
thinkin’ a few steps ahead translates as we’re playing Gears 5. You’ve got an easy job for right now. Your son’s drivin’, he’s gonna
get you to the objective, and you guys are gonna go in guns blazing. All right so I gotta ask as
we’re sittin’ here playin’, you spend a lot of time
on the road, right? How do you relax, how do you unwind? Are you a gamer when
you’re at home in the, not doing anything?
– Yeah, I mean, I find different ways to
relax, you know what I mean? But definitely the fight
games, sports games, the role playing games. That’s like if I really need
a moment to myself in a day where I don’t want nobody bothering me, I may throw on a game and just make that my six, seven hour day. Then I may need to go old-school and I might sit there when I
feel like I don’t want my brain to do nothin’, like I
don’t wanna do nothin’. – You wanna turn all the way off. – Yeah, I just turn on Pac-Man. – Yeah? – Oh serious, I just don’t do nothin’. The reason why I do it is ’cause I know that I’m not doin’ nothin’. – Okay, all right. – But music and chess, of course, those are my biggest hobbies. – [Rukari] Pops is gone! You figured that out quick! – [The RZA] That’s right, keep
it moving, come on, uh oh. There goes somebody, shoot ’em? – [Rukari] Yep, take ’em out! – [The RZA] There you go, get ’em. Uh oh, I’m ducking. I like a good shot.
(laughing) Okay, Prince, you got ’em? – Yeah, I got ’em. There’s more though. – [The RZA] Oh, okay. Okay, so turn around, Prince. – Right here.
– Who that? That’s my man or you? – There’s only two of us, so. – Yeah, if you see somethin’
that’s big and ugly, if you catch the swarm in front of you, with reckless abandon, you need to take ’em out.
– I got shot. – You got a shot.
– He got shot. – [Rukari] You better get into some cover. – [The RZA] Oh these
are enemies right now. – Yeah.
– Yeah, they’re all enemies. – [The RZA] Ooh! – [Rukari] All right, jumpin’
right out, you know what? So he’s got an opportunity to come and revive you.
– First one that comes up– I’m getting shot at! – [Rukari] But hey, you don’t see this big old boy chasin’ him down? – Whew!
– You better run outta there. – [The RZA] Hey, oh, hold on wait, so– – [Rukari] Go get that revive,
can you get that revive? – [Rakeem] I get that revive? – [Rukari] Yep, there we go. Back in action.
– I got you. – I’m doin’ 360s through here.
(laughs) – [Rukari] He’s backin’ them up. – [Rakeem] Oh wait, I’m outta– – Are you complete outta ammo?
– It’s on me. – [The RZA] Oh he’s comin’
at you, Prince, hold on. – [Rukari] Better hit that D pad and switch to a different weapon. – [The RZA] There it is, hold on. Ah man, Bobby’s gettin’– – Oh this is like the old one.
– I see the Boltok down low. – Uh huh, you see everything. Where I’m at?
– That’s the beauty of being over on this side of the room. No controller in my hand,
I get to see it all. – [The RZA] Oh, he got me
good that time, Prince. (men talking over each other) – [Rukari] I see you
getting those head shots. – If I hit A do I move
and get energy quicker? – You tap that A. Now what you wanna do is make sure that you don’t fill
that bar all the way up so he’s gonna come revive you,
he’s on his way right now, he’s got the indicator on the screen. Get there, get there! – Eek, got you.
– Woo! – [Rukari] All right,
all right, back in there. (laughing)
– Ah, this is good! Let me fight now, let me– Where we at? – This guy’s so annoying!
– Right behind you. (laughing)
– I can’t get away from him. – [The RZA] I can’t see him. – He won’t stop chasing me.
– There he is, right next to you. Oh!
– Oh! – [The RZA] Oh! – That’s the third one, he was out, out. (laughing)
– Saw that. – We all saw that. – He would not leave me alone.
– You know what’s so crazy? – What’s that? – I have my gun and I
just didn’t shoot in time. You gotta shoot in time,
kid, that’s another thing. (laughing) – I like how this turned
into a life lesson from you. – You gotta. – That is on your hands. – You gotta know when to bust. (laughing) All right, so all right,
let’s go one more time. – [Rakeem] I figured this
out, I figured this out. You gotta stay behind double. – [The RZA] All right. How do you duck? Right here, okay.
– Yeah. And in the meantime,
gotta start off shooting. – [The RZA] All right. – [Rukari] Sounds like
he already knows when. – You got laser attack right there. Okay, bump. – Oh my gosh, he’s back. He’s back. – [Rukari] I don’t mess with anybody who walks that slow–
– Oh my god! – Up to you.
(laughs) – [Rukari] I just know
that’s gonna be a problem. – [The RZA] I’m trying
to get over the joint. (laughing) – [Rakeem] He’s so low, he’s about to– – I got him.
– You think he’s down? You think he’s goin’ down? – He’s definitely about to go down. – Know what the problem is? – What’s that? – He can stab ’em.
– He can block, bro, this is a cheat!
(laughing) – [Rukari] The whole
different type of comeback. – I’m trying to stab this
guy like, you know what? He’s too close to shoot. I’m not sure. – [Character] Jack, pulse! – [The RZA] I mean, I’m gonna get some– – Oh my.
– Goin’ to the store. – Yeah, I bought you some Red Bull. (laughing) – So low I can’t even run.
– Make it through. – Ooh.
– Oh, oh! Oh, oh! – [The RZA] All right,
this is it, hold on. – [Rukari] Did you get by it
or is it stomping you out? – No I’m blocking that dude, there we go. Let’s fight, come on. That’s my time to fight, see that? – Rakeem, I like that you’re using the whole array of weapons. Okay, yep, there we go!
– That’s how I do it. I’m gonna have to walk up
to him and just cut him in his neck, you saw that, Ra? – [Rukari] Way to down
’em, way to down ’em, get outta there. This is gonna happen. I’m sure the producers
are telling me to do this and there’s no way. This is too good, this is too fun. – [The RZA] Look at this. – I gotta dip. (laughs) I gotta dip. – [The RZA] I’m fighting ’em hand to hand. – [Rukari] So you’re gonna
fight ’em hand to hand, the dude has– – That’s that.
– Two big old blunt objects in his hand. All right.
– Look, I’m fallin’ towards him, look. (laughing) – [Rukari] Oh oh, he blocked! – [Rakeem] Blocking me! – [Rukari] And you got six
rounds left in that Boltok. Make ’em count. – [The RZA] Ooh! – No!
– Yep. Way to dodge, way to dodge. I hear nothin’ but armor hits. Oh! – It’s gold!
– There it is, right there! – I got him. – [Rukari] Look at that! And you helped. – [Rakeem] I want the mace too. (laughing)
– You know, I was lookin’ for the Red Bull. (laughing) – Well look, I think. you know, that’s a good time right there. Obviously the game drops today and you guys got a little
hands-on preview with it. But a good point for us to stop. – Good point to stop. What, what?
– I gotta say hey, props to– Look it, he’s not stoppin’. – He not stoppin. – He’s not stoppin’. – One more. – Gotta love it.
– Go press– We’ll pause that and we’ll
pick this up at home. – Mmhmm. – Well I guess that’s the perfect time to remind everybody that
Gears 5 is out today. If you own the Ultimate edition or if you have Ultimate Game Pass, or Game Pass Ultimate, excuse me. The regular edition,
standard edition of Gears 5 drops on September 10th,
or for you Game Pass owners out there as well, and then
I just wanna thank you guys so much for joining us. – Thanks for having us, Rukari. – Wu-Tang: An American Saga,
An American Saga, it’s out now. You guys can check it
out, what it, 10 episodes. – 10 episodes. Well you gotta watch
the first three episodes right now on Hulu. And then every Wednesday it
will drop another episode. Wu Wednesdays. – Okay, Wu Wednesdays. – Yeah, so have fun, man. – All right, so we get to learn
a lot about Wu-Tang’s past. Last question for you, who what do you wanna see in Wu-Tang’s future? – I just wanna see, as I
say, a better tomorrow. – All right, absolutely. Well thank you guys again,
appreciate y’all joining us. And thank you at home for watching. Don’t forget you can grab
your copy of Gears 5 today if you own the Ultimate edition or if you have Game Pass Ultimate. Standard edition owners, September 10th, that’s when Gears 5 comes out for you, or if you have Game Pass,
it’ll be there as well. Don’t forget that you can
catch thousands of shows on the go with Hulu. And there’s one more special treat. There is a custom
Wu-Tang themed Xbox One X that you could have a chance to win. Just check out the details
and who knows, could be yours. Thank you
guys so much for watching. Hope you enjoyed Xbox Sessions. Have a great day. – He at war out there. (hiphop music) You think they won’t try to touch you? – We’re just trying to make music. ♪ Yo, yo, yo, champion kid ♪ – This is what you should
be putting your work into. Not the streets. – You may be from separate
hoods, but together, we’re stronger that way. – Ah. – [Man] It’s Wu-tang against the world. [XBOX SOUND]