Somewhere inside this snake is the family
dog, nothing more than an evening meal for the 16-foot long python in Queensland, Australia.
He swallowed the beloved pet, a Terrier Chihuahua cross, in one go. Right in front of its owners,
a boy and a girl aged 5 and 7 and their mother, who attempted in vain to stop the snake by
hitting it with a chair. This, after they discovered the python, with a tail and furry
legs dangling out of his mouth. Stuart Douglass of the Australian Venom Zoo came to the rescue,
but it was too late. “We were called basically. A lady was quite
concerned about her dog being eaten by a 5 to 6 metre scrub python. Obviously, we went
straight away, and it had consumed the dog. We took a number of photos, and then we moved
the snake back here to the zoo. The reason it wasn’t released straight into the wild
is because the… Well, it couldn’t be released because there was a huge amount of food there,
and it could do quite a bit of damage to the snake moving it.”
Apparently, increasing housing development in Queensland has displaced the python’s natural
food source, the local wallabies. So the hungry snakes have moved on to domestic cats and
dogs. But pet owners don’t have to worry for another couple of days. The dog will take
at least 48 hours to digest.